Saturday, November 5, 2011

Cucumber Guajillo Hummus

Okay so I have tried making hummus many many times, with varying results. I have never used any particular recipe other than in the very beginning when I learned that the basic ingredients are chickpeas, tahini, vegetables, and spices. I tried it again today with a few different ingredients. 

 In order of quantity: chickpeas, cucumber (whole with skin on), dried guajillo chiles, olive oil, roasted garlic cloves, peppercorns, yellow curry powder, sambal oelek (my absolute favorite chile sauce), salt, sugar, lemon juice, paprika.

Like usual, it tasted "okay" but I'm not sure if I am just sick of eating hummus, or if I need to get serious and find a good recipe. I think the flavors that I DON'T like are tahini (too much makes it nasty), dry chile skin taste, any raw green vegetable. I feel that it is lacking some substance that maybe a little chicken or seafood base might add (yes, I know this is supposed to be vegetarian). I'll look for some recipes and try again.  

On the bright side, I did learn a few technical things: if you want puréed dried chiles, steam them in some water in the microwave for a few minutes and then purée in the blender until smooth, adding salt, sugar, spices, and whatever else. Once the chile sauce is smooth and tastes good, THEN add it to the other bulky ingredients in the food processor. This way it minimizes the red flakes from the dried chiles in the final product, because the food processor cannot chop finely enough to totally get rid of them.

No comments:

Post a Comment