Tuesday, October 18, 2011

Potato Veggie Empanadas

The other day at 1 am I decided to make some empanadas since I had seen someone making them on a restaurant show. I decided to wing it all, including the pastry dough. I've never been good at making pastry dough but each time I learn something new. I didn't have any meat or chicken thawed out at that time of night so I made a potato/veggie stuffing and tried to season it up a lot.


Potato, bell pepper, red chili, some sazón liquido I bought in the Dominican Republic, butter, salt, pepper. To make things quick I "baked" the potatoes in the microwave.


After rolling out the dough:


That's the part where I learned the most. Always make way more dough than you think you will need. First, it's much easier just to roll once and cut out all the circles/pies you need and just discard the rest. Second, this avoids having to take the scraps and re-roll them several times. If you do that the dough ends up very elastic and completely unlike a proper pastry crust. Third, I had way more stuffing than I had dough and it was too late to try to make more pastry dough at 2 am.


After stuffing the empanadas and trying to seal them. I brushed them with egg wash hoping they'd bake up nice and shiny and golden but it soaked into the pastry. If anyone knows how to make it nice and shiny let me know.
Posted by Picasa

No comments:

Post a Comment